The nursery is now our favorite room in the house. Not only does it look like a happy and cheerful place, but it symbolizes so much: all the tears and dreams and hopes and prayers we've endured these past few years. I have really enjoyed planning it all out and working on it with Paul. And now that it is mostly put together (still have some organizing left to do) I finally have some pictures to share:
The lamp was Paul's when he was a child. The Noah's Ark piggy bank was a gift from my MIL at my shower and has the name "Flash" engraved on it. The pink-and-blue sign hanging just above the light switch says "When in trouble dial 1-800-NANA." It was given to me by my Nana, and I saved it to give to my child someday. Now my mom will become "Nana" to Flash.
Side view of the chest which we decorated with some of the decals. The little chair has a hand-painted Noah's ark on it. Before infertility ruined all the fun, this chair was the first item we picked up (at an antique store in Wisconsin) to use in our future nursery.
Front view of the chest of drawers. We got the chest at a local antique store. Paul repainted it and we added the decals. He also replaced the drawer pulls with hand-painted knobs we found on Etsy that were designed to match our bedding set exactly.
View of the nook by the door. The giraffe light switch cover was actually the very first thing we put in the room to start officially transitioning it from a spare room to a nursery.
View when you first walk in the door. And yes - we know you cannot leave stuffed animals or loose blankets and quilts in the crib when the baby is actually using it :)
I adore this mobile.
The quilted wall-hanging was something I saw in an antique store last Christmas. We had just found out that our 5th cycle of Clomid was a bust (I got my period that day, in fact). I mentioned to my mom when I saw it that it was the sort of thing I might have bought if things were looking more positive. But since they weren't, it was just to painful to consider. She apparently went back later and bought it and kept it until this summer when she gave it to me once we were past the first trimester.
Monkey clothes hamper that Paul picked out for the registry. I helped pick out the fabric for the blue-and-yellow crib skirt, which was made by my Aunt A.
The desk-turned-changing-table that Paul and his dad built. The bottom part was the desk (obviously) and Paul designed the part on top. He painted the whole thing white and then we decorated with decals. The drawer pulls are from the same set as the ones on the chest. The tools still piled underneath are not part of the nursery design... :)
Top view of the changing table. There are compartments for the changing pad, diapers, wipes, and various and sundry toiletries. I take no credit for this - it was ALL Paul's idea/design.
Glider-rocker that was a gift from my parents for Christmas. Behind it you can see part of the wall mural that was painted by the sister of one of Paul's friends. She did an amazing job and we LOVE it! The side table was another antique store find from this fall, as was the wooden Noah's ark sitting on the stool. The stool was actually mine when I was a child.
Other half of the mural in the corner opposite the glider. I love the sea turtles! The bookshelf was from an antique store outing while in Michigan for our anniversary this fall.
The Noah figurine and the animals came as a set with the little wooden ark. The jar on the shelf contains the "notes of advice" that B had everyone write down for me at my shower.
Thanks to Paul and my mom, the closet was completely re-done: paint job, new wire shelving, a pull-chain light, and a new bi-fold door (complete with a knob to match the other furniture). My mom also painted the little blue dresser (which currently holds extra crib bedding, clothing for when Flash is older, and my nursing/pumping supplies).
Quilt that Aunt A designed and made. I helped pick out some of the fabric for it but she pretty much created the entire thing. I love it! She also made a smaller, matching version (hanging on the end) with the extra fabric.
Fleecy blanket that my MIL made. Will be nice for cold, mid-winter, middle of the night feedings!
Fuzzy quilt/blanket made by my best childhood friend's mom. It has a nice thick layer of padding, so can be used as play mat on the floor too.
There are still a few supplies and things we need to get (like a bathtub), but I've been told that my parents are bringing gifts from other relatives when they come up after Christmas. The plan is to wait and see what we still need after that, and then go out and use our registry completion discounts to get any last-minute necessities.
Aside from that... all we need is a baby!
Looks great! Yes, looks like you just need the baby now! I wish we were that ready...we are getting a lot done during this 4 day weekend of Christmas because my husband has actually been home (poor guy's been working until midnight or later most days for the last several weeks and there has been no time for him to help me!). Looking forward to upcoming updates and eventually a birth announcement!!!
ReplyDelete