Tuesday, August 7, 2012

17 Weeks & Counting - SOOOO Tired!

I'm still here.  Just haven't posted in a while.  Last week was a weird week.  Things at work continue to be very busy and I was coming home every night completely exhausted.  I felt like I was running on empty all week.  By the time I crawled into bed each night, I was so tired it actually, physically, hurt.  Like that heavy, achy feeling I got back in college when I stayed up all night studying. 

And this past weekend was a whirlwind of activity and emotions.  I drove to my hometown Friday evening to attend my best friend's baby shower on Saturday.  We've been friends since we were 2 and it's been fun to be pregnant together.  She's due in November and having a little boy.  The shower was fun - her mom and sister hosted and they're like family to me.  I also got to see a few other of my childhood friends, which was nice.  Saturday night, I had dinner with my grandfather (Papa) and we had a nice talk.  He's super excited about being a Great Papa (see previous post where he was the first to break the news on my Facebook). 

Then Sunday morning, I went to visit another childhood friend, Christy, in the hospital.  Originally, we'd planned to have her baby shower that afternoon.  Christy was due Labor Day weekend (oh, the irony) but developed preeclampsia around the 4th of July and was hospitalized.  She had an emergency C-section a little over a week ago and delivered a little girl at 34 weeks.  Baby G is doing quite well, actually, but is very small.  She was 2 pounds 9 ounces at birth and has gained about 5-6 ounces since then.  She hadn't grown for a few weeks while in utero so she's smaller than most would be at 34 weeks.  Baby G will be in the hospital for a few more weeks.  Anyway, we'd talked about still having Christy's shower, either in the hospital if she was still pregnant or at another friend's house that was nearby if she'd been discharged.  Unfortunately, she developed several blood clots in her arm, chest, and neck and was re-admitted to the hospital last Friday.  The good news is, they caught it before it got to her heart and she's getting treatment.  And she's now closer to Baby G again (one floor down instead of having to drive an hour each way to see her every day).  So needless to say, the shower has been postponed.  But I did get to see her for a couple hours on Sunday and I even got to meet Baby G in the NICU.  I've never seen a human that tiny before!

Sunday afternoon, I visited my great-grandma (Gramy) in the assisted living facility where she now resides.  She's very excited about the prospect of being a great-GREAT-grandmother.  She's 101 and has always been sharp as a tack.  And she still is - everyone likes to point out that she "still has all her marbles!"  But this time, I noticed for the first time ever that a few of those marbles are starting to roll away.  It was kind of sad.  I mean, she's over a century old, so it's hardly unexpected.  But this was the first time she seemed old to me.  I really want to have just one picture with her and Flash.  I hope that she's still around when he/she is born, and that she's still there mentally to get to enjoy it.  So that was kind of a hard visit.  And then, I had lunch/dinner (it was more of a mid-afternoon snack) with Grandma (my mom's mom) and hung out with her for a couple hours.  I played her the recording on my phone of Flash's heartbeat, which she thought was pretty neat.  After that, I packed up and drove the 4 hours back home Sunday evening. 

Whew.  So now, here it is another week.  I should be working (it's not even 5:00 yet) but I hit a wall a little bit ago and needed a break.  I know they say that you're supposed to have more energy in the second trimester, but when does that kick in?  Because so far, I've been more tired than in my first.  Aside from the lack of energy, not much else going on in terms of symptoms.  The belly is definitely growing though!  I have some more stuff to post about, but have run out of steam for now (and need to at least pretend to work for this last bit).  So, I'll try to post again later in the week.  I also want to do another Happy List, so I've been thinking of things to include on that.  Until next time...

   

No comments:

Post a Comment